1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how many quail for family of 4

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickenjoe, Dec 18, 2009.

1. chickenjoe

chickenjoe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    how many quail should be raised for a family of four

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Ok a family of four for what ?
    Eating 2-3 quail per person.
    Pets as many as you like.
    What exactly you have in mind decides what you may need.
    Hope that helps.

MIKE

3. canter6

canter6 Cooped up

Oct 12, 2009
    Dacula,GA.
    About 200. Give or take.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:LIGHTWEIGHT!

LOL--- [​IMG]

5. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    We would need more specifics. How much does your family usually eat? For very young kids, one quail would be plenty (maybe half a quail, depending). Some people will eat two, some three, some will eat five. I have never measured out how much meat comes from a single quail.
    Second, how often do you plan on eating quail? Once a week, once a month or...? Do you plan to eat eggs as well?

6. kenman

kenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Maybe this will help. I have a family of six. Four adults and two teens. So we all eat adult size portions and we love to eat quail. I am raising quail that weigh an average of 10 ounces live weight at processing, usually 6-8 weeks. The size of your quail makes a big difference on how many you need to keep. Anyway, I use 12 whole quail (that's breast & leg and & thigh quarters) per meal, because we also need leftovers for lunches. Now for the math part. I am keeping a dozen hens and 4 males, Coturnix. I have them set up in two 2'X2' rabbit cages, 6 hens to 2 males each. I set 10 days worth of eggs which is around 80-90 each month (that I feel like growing them). If I have an 75-80% hatch rate (usually you can better), you can have 70-80 birds each month, or as I usually figure it, 5-6 meals for us, plus some for mine and wife's folks. I will be setting the first batch of eggs for the new year probably on the first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by