How many Roos per Chicken

krobin04

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Lincoln County
How may roos can we have per chicken- we have 2 with 3 hens, but they don't fight, they "dance" and show off but don't peck at eachother. They were raised together since hatching.

I also researched this and most people say minimum 1 to 7 but most ideally said 1 to 10.

Mrs. K :

So if you have more than 10 chicken with one roo, is the only side effect is that not all eggs will be fertilized? Or is there something else?

That's about it. And it's not a foregone conclusion though.... some roosters can cover more than 10 hens. But if you have LESS than that many, the hens may be mounted too much and start to look ratty. On the other hand, some roos have "favorites" and will mount them more than others.​

i have 1 per 4 hens and their backs are bald totally! i would add many more hens. they finally molted and have grown them back and i have kept them seperate.. i also notice he seemed to favor one over another..

Thanks everyone! Hopefully when our new Wyandottes grow up (they are 8 wks now, and just showing signs of things to come) we can put the hens together and separate out the roos, but can more than 1 roo live in a pen if the hens are next door? We aren't so worried about fertilization, just don't want to interbreed. The year old birds are Welsummer crosses.

Back
Top Bottom