1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many roosters do you need?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SassyKat6181, Jun 15, 2011.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I have 1 rooster that I am integrating with my 26 hens. I only want him for the "crow", not worried about fertile eggs or hatching. Do I need more than one rooster?

2. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I'm not the pro here but I understand one rooster is more than enough especially if you are not interested in breeding.

3. spike844

spike844 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2010
    Virginia beach, VA
    The ratio for hens and rooster is usually about 1/10. If you want another rooster, that will work, just as long as him and the other rooster get along.

-Noah [​IMG]

4. jeepchick

jeepchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Loudon, New Hampshire
    I like the hear the crowing as well....so I opted for more then 1 roo. Actually I have at least 1 roo in each coop. Its kind of funny how we are set up actually. We have only 1 standard roo and the rest are bantams of varoius breeds so we only have one thats REALLY loud. Our coops are situated through out our property ranging from the chicks on the porch to the oeg next to the porch....then the seramas are on the other side of the yard and the layers are beside them and the japanese are across from them. So every morning about 4:45 they start....they all sound different and I can tell whos crow is whos..they crow in the same order almost everytime..and the way they are arranged around the yard its like musical crowing in surround sound. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by