How many roosters does it take...(Pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BTufts, Jun 9, 2009.

1. BTufts

BTufts In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    Maine
    I picked up these guys from a client at work. I think I may have picked a bunch of roosters! I'm fairly certain that chicken no. 3 is a hen but the other 3 look like boys. [​IMG] Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Chick 1 (almost positive this guy is a roo, he is huge!)
    [​IMG]

Chick 2
    [​IMG]

Chick 3 (think this one may be a hen *I hope!*)
    [​IMG]

Chick 4
    [​IMG]

2. LuLuBelle

LuLuBelle Songster

Apr 16, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    I'm no expert, but I am going to say 1, 2 and 4 are roos and 3 is a hen.

3. wingnuts

wingnuts In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2009
    I think your guesses are right. Looks like you've got 3 boys and a girl! [​IMG] They are pretty though. :)

4. georgialee

georgialee Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I think you're right.

5. BTufts

BTufts In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG] Not what I wanted to hear! But that is more or less what I was thinking too.

Now what do I do with extra roosters?? I hope this doesn't sound awful.. but can you eat any kind of chicken or only the broilers?

6. ve

ve Songster

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    #1 may be a girl

7. You can eat any kind of chicken. The broilers just have more meat on them at a much younger age. And no, you don't sound horrible. Lots of people eat chickens.

At my house, some chickens are pets, and some are not. Most of the roosters get a date with the hatchet soon after they start crowing, no matter how large they are.

Any hens that I keep for laying will eventually get to meet the hatchet, unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse for a laying hen.

I would have a problem eating any Silkies or Silkie crosses though. Their blue meat sort of ruins my appetite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: