How many roosters from hatcheries?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Summer98, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Summer98

Summer98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    When ordering day old chicks from a hatchery, I see you have the option of ordering sexed chicks, but they only guarantee 90% success rate in sexing them. I'm just wondering from people's experiences, how many roosters do you typically end up with? I think I am going to order 25 female day old chicks. So what can I expect?

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

when I ordered from cackle a couple years ago I ordered 15 hens and 3 roosters and thats exactly what i got. [​IMG] But not everyone has the same experience. I now hatch eggs...so I don't have a choice LOL but when I ordered 2 kinds of sex link, and EE's.....my purebreds I have hatched or bought.

3. blkpoodles

blkpoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Winsted, CT
    Quote:i ordered chicks from ideal poultry, i ordered 3 EE pullets and got pullets, my others are straight run so theyre unsexed

4. ih66series

ih66series Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    I ordered 15 pullets from Ideal Poultry and got 15 pullets. (and 3 Buff Brahma roosters as packing peanuts)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The hatcheries will guarantee 90%, but I think actual accuracy is about 96%- 97%.

Many will throw in a couple of excess males as packing peanuts-- unless, of course, you were secretly hoping to get a flock rooster without having to pay for one. If you are hoping for a few roosters, you probably won't get any.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Long ago when I actually used to order from hatcheries, I got a good 5-10% males, yes. In some groups I'd get a male per 9 females, in other batches I'd get a male per 12 females.

7. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I ordered 15 sexed female day-olds from mcmurray, and got 1 rooster. A partridge rock. We'll see if he continues to behave himself. [​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I've ordered a gosling pair from Ideal, got a gosling pair (male and female) and 12 RIR cockerel packing peanuts. Split an order of 25, some sexed pullets and straight run chicks of a certain breed, and got all pullets of the sexed ones. Ordered 25 pullets from MyPetChicken and got 25 pullets and 2 extras; two of the 27 were cockerels, but I don't know if they were the two "extra" chicks or mistakes in the 25 pullets.

All in all, I am pretty happy with what I received.

9. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I ordered 7 Brabanter pullets and 1 rooster from Ideal back in May, and that's what I got. I also ordered 2 Old English Game Bantams, which were unsexed, but turned out to be a pair. They also threw in 7 extra packing peanut Barred Rocks, which turned out to be 6 roosters and 1 pullet.

10. K-9mom

K-9mom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    I ordered 10 day old pullets from Ideal this summer and specifically told them NOT to add any "packing peanuts" if they could be roo's and I only got the 10 pullets that I requested w/o extra's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by