How many roosters is too many?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pittsk, Aug 11, 2011.

1. pittsk

pittsk Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    I have a flock of 8. One Buff Orphington Rooster and Barred Rock rooster. With a possibility of a 3rd one being a rooster. Should I keep them or not. They are sweet birds, maybe a little skittish but other than that I have no problems with them. Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    It will depend on your roosters.
    You should have a plan in place incase any of the follow STARTS to happen:
    They start to fight.
    Your hens go bald from over mating.

Most people will give you an percentage and that varies from person to person.
    It is likely you have too few hens for anyones' tastes.
    But if you follow this guideline I just gave you ( I bet you will have to implement your plan sooner rather than later) you can grow out a nice dinner for yourself.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I agree, if you really want to keep all the roos you may need more hens.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Two or three roosters in a flock of 8 birds is too many. You have a couple of options. You can keep them (the ones you know for sure are roosters, anyway) in a separate pen, figure out their personalities and then decide which to keep. You can add more hens to your flock (you'd have to at the very least double the number of hens you have now). Or, you can just pick one now. It all depends on how many chickens you can or want to have, really.

5. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    it's like 6-8 hens per roster that size

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have 2 for 16 pullets...I always heard 1 to 10 pullets...good rule, just watch for the aggression and fighting...the girls will get beaten up also with too many boys to satisfy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by