How many roosters

DBrewer

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 23, 2012
I am new to the chicken world, but I like to think and plan ahead. Knowing what I may be gettign in to helps me decide if I want to get in to it or not. So, while I currently have no roosters, it is possible I will in the future. Which leads to my question.

I was under the impression that 2 roosters will fight and that therefore if I had one I should have ONLY one. But I have read posts and seen pics here of flocks with more than one rooster, so obviously this is possible under certain conditions.

My question is, how many roosters per how many hens? And are the roosters typically separated, or are they allowed to mingle? What are the circumstances that allow multiple roosters to live together?

Thanks,

DBrewer

welcome-byc.gif

I have a few roosters running around, but I have 50 laying hens and some pullets that are not laying yet. And they have about 4 acres. I have one "top" roo and a second in command. They had a huge falling out a few months ago, blood and feathers flying, but they got themselves sorted. The younger roos keep themselves to themselves and stay away from the big guys.
I've read that 1 roo per 15 hens is good, but it depends on what you want. Fertile eggs? A boy to keep the flock in order?

Thanks Sumi. In the short term I will be looking for a boy to keep the flock in order, protect the hens, etc. Longer term I'll be looking for fertile eggs.

Back
Top Bottom