How many should I have in my flock ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosaline

Songster
10 Years
Dec 14, 2009
England
I have a small garden and my neighbours are close to my house. I asked my Landlord if I could keep chickens and to my surprise he said yes. But only if they dont anoy the neighbours. My boyfriend said that I should just have two. I read in a post that 4 keeps the coop warm. I live in England and it is cold alot of the year. I would have loads if I could get away with it
gig.gif
I am going to get sussex chickens and I dont know how noisy they are.

Any info welcomed.................Thankyou x

Last edited:
I know someone who has one hen (he had more but they died and he doesn't want chickens anymore after his last one goes). I think one chicken would be lonely though, so I'd say a minimum of 2. If you can provide a draft-free coop the temperature won't matter. I live in the Northeastern U.S. and it's been about 4 degrees Farenheit here lately at night and I had 3 chickens in a coop who did just fine. It is in the garage though so there is NO draft (but it's not heated either).

I don't know about your specific breed of chicken, but none of my hens are terribly loud except when they are laying and they can make a slight racket for a couple of minutes. Then again, I have 2 roosters who make up for that by crowing loudly at every opportunity!!
barnie.gif

Two would probably be enough for the egg needs of a couple of people, providing you don't eat a couple of eggs every morning. Two would be a minimum, because chickens are social animals. Four might be better, so you can keep your neighbors sweet with extra eggs. I started with four and now have 11. This is an ongoing issue for most people on this forum, they start with few and end up with many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom