How many to order starightrun

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BellyShell, Dec 24, 2011.

1. BellyShell

BellyShell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2011
    Central Florida
    I'd like to hear what you guys have to say. I'm debating putting an order in with a breeder fro straightrun chicks. My goal is a trio or quad with a roo and 2-3 hens. If I get an say 2 roo's I'll divide the hens...if I get more I'd order more starightrun as that's all they come.

So for those that have delt with straight run do you think 5 is enough to start? If I even get one hen and 4 roos I'd be pleased and at least be at a place to start.
    So when your ordering staright run how many to your order? How often do you get all roo's or all hen's?

Thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's a crap shoot but it's supposed to end up being 50/50.

I hatched out a bunch of Ameraucana eggs once and all I got was pullets.

If I were ordering straight run and wanted a trio, I'd order at least 8.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I'd determine how many hens I really wanted. Let's say you really want 3 hens? Order 8-10 chicks. You just cannot tell with straight runs. Never can.

You'll have to "weed out" the roosters before breeding age anyhow. Nothing better than a young, tender rooster at about 17 or 18 weeks for eating!!! If they are flashy enough, there may be a market for re-selling, as another option.

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    One straight run, I got 6 cockerels and 9 pullets. However, it could easily go the other way. There are lots of folks who could tell of getting 5 cockerels and 1 hen - or even all cockerels. It's a gamble.

5. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    When I ordered 5 chicks straight run I got 4 boys and one girl. Not the best odds but it could have been all boys. I was told the more you order the closer you get to the 50/50 ratio. With smaller numbers it could go either way.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It's cheaper and easier to order sexed chicks and get exactly what you want than it is to get a bunch of cockerels that you don't want.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:If I understood the OP correctly, the breeder only sells them straight run. I'd not mess around with two orders and pay shipping twice. Just order a bunch and you'll be much happier with the result.

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Remember that not every chick you hatch will be worth keeping for breeding. Also, it is nice to have at least 2 roosters in case of accident or infertility. you can always sell, rehome or eat extras. I'd get a dozen.

9. lilcritters

lilcritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    White Church Missouri
    We ordered 5 Pullet RIR and 5 SR so we could get a rooster.... Ended up with 9 hens and 1 roo!! Lucked out big time!!!!

April

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    So for those that have delt with straight run do you think 5 is enough to start?

You never really know

I once bought 25 birds and all but 4 were hens.

Later I bought 10 and 7 were roosters.
    If I wanted 3 birds to keep, I'd buy at least 10 and keep the nicest three

You can always sell the extras, or eat them​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by