How many toes should my chicken have?

Thanks! The EEers don't have but 3 toes right now. Nothing budding on the backs of their legs yet. But the RIR do have the little toe sticking out. I just hope it doesn't take too long to determine roosters because I don't want to feed a bunch of roosters that I intend on giving away.

Three toes? Most chicken feet look like the pic below: Missing that last tow on the back/bottom of the pic isn't normal.

900x900px-LL-1b15cdbb_yellowfeetJPG11.jpeg

Oh, and about finding out roosters, feet and legs will be last to really tell you anything. You'll be better off watching comb/wattle development at about 4-6weeks. If it reddens before 8 weeks, they are likly boys. Girls don't redden up till later.

We got some Ameraucanas and A-Buff cross at a chicken swap and they have three toes in the front and two in the back. Is this normal? they aren't purebreds - my husband says they're freaks, but I think it's in the breed.

My wife and I just started a flock so we're new and I may be wrong but I grew up on a small backyard farm and have been around farm animals a lot. Anyway, we have adult birds and a bunch of chicks and all of them have three front toes and a back spur and every bird I've ever seen has the same. Hope that helps

Hello I have six brand new chicks and one has black skin so it is most likely a silkie it has 5 toes and I also have 5 more chicks and I don't know what breed they are they all have 4 toes. Does anyone know if this is normal. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Last edited:
Thanks heaps for the information. Would the chickens with 4 toes be a cross breed because the rooster is a silkie.

Back
Top Bottom