How many weeks?

DLS

Songster
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
100 miles SOUTH of Atlanta
I am feeding purina medicated crumbles. How many weeks do I swich to regular feed & what kind is the same as crumbles? OR what can I swich to, & when?
hmm.png

I have read that point of lay is about 16-18 or 20 weeks. At that time switch to a layer crumble or pellet. My chicks are 8 weeks now and I just can't wait for the first egg! I am going to switch them at 16 weeks to layer crumble because they need the calcium for the egg production and not as much protein.

I have also read that their combs start to turn red as the laying time approaches.

I'm new at this too so if someone else has any additions or corrections feel free!

Have a wonderful day!

The average is 18 - 20 weeks and then pullets should start to lay eggs. However, do not write that in stone. All chickens are different and some need 26 - 30 weeks to start laying.

Point of Lay is when you see that first egg. Then start feeding layer feed.

Mine started laying this winter at 25 weeks. I kept them on Starter/grower till then, but there is no need to keep them on medicated feed for that amount of time. Tractor Supply carries unmedicated feed.

After the first 8 weeks, you ought switch to a pullet developer. If you keep them on starter the whole time until point of lay (PoL) they tend to overgrow, start laying too soon and are generally larger than they should be.

With that said, I've never seen a pullet developer in a feed store. You can make one yourself by stretching your chick starter using about 25% cracked corn. This is what I do, more or less.

Some people keep them on starter until PoL and their birds don't seem to be affected. But, to do it by the works, they shouldn't keep getting 20%+ protein up until PoL.

Back
Top Bottom