How many weeks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DLS, May 8, 2008.

1. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I am feeding purina medicated crumbles. How many weeks do I swich to regular feed & what kind is the same as crumbles? OR what can I swich to, & when?[​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I use Purina medicated SunFresh Starter/Grower and feed it til point of lay ......

3. DLS

Quote:then what do you feed?what week is point of lay?

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  4. Liza

Liza Chillin' With My Peeps

I have read that point of lay is about 16-18 or 20 weeks. At that time switch to a layer crumble or pellet. My chicks are 8 weeks now and I just can't wait for the first egg! I am going to switch them at 16 weeks to layer crumble because they need the calcium for the egg production and not as much protein.

I have also read that their combs start to turn red as the laying time approaches.

I'm new at this too so if someone else has any additions or corrections feel free!

Have a wonderful day!

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The average is 18 - 20 weeks and then pullets should start to lay eggs. However, do not write that in stone. All chickens are different and some need 26 - 30 weeks to start laying.

Point of Lay is when you see that first egg. Then start feeding layer feed.

6. DLS

Mine were born on easter sunday so the will lay in a while I can't [email protected]

7. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Mine started laying this winter at 25 weeks. I kept them on Starter/grower till then, but there is no need to keep them on medicated feed for that amount of time. Tractor Supply carries unmedicated feed.

8. n2h20

n2h20 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Pasadena Ca
    i just got a chick mash at the feed store, should i be feeding something different?

9. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    After the first 8 weeks, you ought switch to a pullet developer. If you keep them on starter the whole time until point of lay (PoL) they tend to overgrow, start laying too soon and are generally larger than they should be.

With that said, I've never seen a pullet developer in a feed store. You can make one yourself by stretching your chick starter using about 25% cracked corn. This is what I do, more or less.

Some people keep them on starter until PoL and their birds don't seem to be affected. But, to do it by the works, they shouldn't keep getting 20%+ protein up until PoL.

10. chickmomma30

chickmomma30 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Odessa MO
    I start mixing the chick starter with cracked corn when they have their real feathers not the down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by