how many?

Since the girls started laying, I've been counting their eggs every day. Each month I average the total and got 8.5 eggs/day for Jan. The girls are young, almost 9 months, and have not gone broody or molted yet. Our hens are pets and will be with us until they die of old age - barring any predators or diseases - and I want to keep track ot their egg laying over the years. 9 hens is a good number for our family of 2 people and 4 Dobes, at least until the hens get older and stop laying so well. The biggest problem is reading all the posts about incubators and new chicks. Its very hard to stick with just our original flock even though we don't need more chickens.

I HAVE 14 HENS AND I AVERAGE 8 TO 10 EGGS A DAY ,IF YOU WERE LOOKING FOR A GOOD PRODUCTION HEN ID GO WITH THE SEX LINKS, I FOUND MY SEX LINKS PRODUCE AN EGG A DAY EVEN IN THE COLDEST OF WINTERS .THEY HARDLY TAKE A DAY OFF .THEY WILL BE A YEAR IN MAY DIDNT START LAYING UNTIL 6 MOS BUT THE EGGS R OFF THE EGG SCALE I HAVE. PLUS YOU DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ACCIDENTALY GETTING A ROOSTER IN THE MIX.

Back
Top Bottom