How mean is this?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Borncountry419, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Borncountry419

Borncountry419 Chillin' With My Peeps

There's nothing cuter and more rewarding than a mother raising her babies to adulthood. It's something that no one can disagree with. But, I was thinking of taking clutches this year so that my Muscovy hens will nest again. I'm only 20, starting school in the fall, and have been spending hundreds a month on my birds. I was hoping to offset the cost a bit by selling muscovy babies. Just how mean is it to take the babies from mom? I've never done it before, so I have no idea how long she'll pine for them. I was thinking if I take the first batch, and then part of the second, she'd still get to enjoy motherhood... Comments and opinions would be appreciated.

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Interesting question. It's done with chicks all the time, so I don't see why it wouldn't be ok to do with the ducks. I do admit, though, that I don't know anything about ducks.

3. Borncountry419

Lol. My chickens never seem quite as bright as my ducks. They're all my pets though, so I feel really bad. But with costs of schooling being added to my list of bills, I really would like to get a little bit of my money back from the birds.

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I could not help but think of Jemina puddle duck when I saw this post. I think you would be okay if you took them right away. My brother does this with his game hens all the time.

5. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    My hen lost all her ducklings during hatch to a skunk so I flew to the feedstore (45 miles!) to get her some babies because I knew she'd be devastated....

By the time I got home, she could care less and was out playing in the pond with everyone else. Needless to say, I have ducklings in the brooder.

6. Borncountry419

Aww. I loved Jemina puddle duck when I was a kid. I completely forgot about that book. Oh how I'd love to be a kid again. Lol. And hippie hen, I'm surprised she got over them that quickly. Was she a mallard derived duck? I feel those ones aren't as good of parents generally. I had a Pekin who was an awesome setter, but felt her ducklings needed to move on in life once they were about two weeks. Lol. Idk, I suppose maybe if I put them in the incubator a few days before they're due to hatch, it might not be so bad.

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Its a pity you dont have more time available- you could sell ducklings to fund the purchase of an incubator... so you didnt have to worry about taking the babies away.

8. Borncountry419

Oh I already have a few incubators. Strangely enough, my Call Duck eggs are easier to hatch in the incubator than the Muscovy eggs are. Call duck eggs I can get up to a 90% hatch rate in the incubator, while I get about 50% with the Muscovy eggs. No idea why. Lol. Plus, if I collect the muscovy eggs they just keep moving their nests. And I've tried dummy eggs, but they don't seem to help with that. Lol

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by