How much attention...?

RobandSue2

Chirping
Jan 22, 2016
New Hampshire
So this go around I want to make a bigger effort in getting the chickens comfortable and trusting of humans. My kids and myself (mostly me) want to really make them more pets than egg producers/tick and bug eating machines.

How much handling at 5 days old now is TOO much not enough...everywhere you read -keep kids away-but geez that's the whole part of having baby chicks....
We have been just leaving our hand hanging in the brooder and trying to pick up each one at least once a day is the plan....

Any do's and don't's, thoughts anyone wants to take the time to pass along?

I just read a tip on another thread regarding picking up baby chicks. The poster said that chickens have a natural fear of anything coming at them from above. They recommended that if possible, have a door on the side of the brooder instead, so you are reaching towards the chicks rather than down at them. I hadn't thought about it before but it totally makes sense, because my grown chickens and ducks always run for cover if anything flies over them.
I'm not sure how much you handle yours, but with mine, I wouldn't necessarily have them in my hand but I would have them with me. Like I'd sit on the floor and let them run around and explore the kitchen. Or I'd bring the brooder into the living room so they'd hear us and be around us.

Almost every year I spend a entire day with my chicks.I make them think i'm their mother.They follow me around,jump on my lap etc.They even come to my peeps.Hold them at least 3 times a day is good,so is cuddling.

I can't agrre with that theory though.I have never had a chicken run away from me with my hands reaching in the pen.It may be because they knew it was me.

Back
Top Bottom