1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

How much bedding in brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gregswife, May 6, 2007.

1. Gregswife

Gregswife In the Brooder

Apr 10, 2007
    Hi all,

I ordered my chicks and they will be coming at the end of May - yippie!! I ordered 4 bantams-2 White Silkies and 2 Amercaunas, anywho...I was wondering how much pine bedding I use in their brooder? A couple of inches or more? I know that I need to use paper towels on top of shavings but would like to know how much to keep the smell down. I Thanks,

Stephanie

2. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Songster

Mar 29, 2007
    You'll only need paper towels for a few days, until your chicks have figured out what 'food' is. They will eventually start picking the paper towels apart if left in there. Mine will start doing it at a week old.

When the chicks are on the bedding without paper towels, a couple of inches deep should be fine. They will scratch around in the bedding, helping it to stay dry. I add shavings at least every other day to my brooder because they kick so much of it out. My brooder is a wire cage, surrounded by cardboard (to keep drafts down, and to help keep the shavings in). I've never used a completely enclosed brooder, so I have no experience with keeping one of that sort clean and dry. I like mine because there is better airflow and it has never gotten stinky. I currently have 21 standard chicks in the brooder. Four bantams ought to be super easy to keep clean with a minimum of effort.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: