How Much Bread is To Much!!

I know this way too well. One morning i had no bread, two solid hours at the backdoor and i swear they were saying breaaad, bread, bread. Made me feel terrible, got two pieces the next morning because in a sucker.
It's like that with so many animals...if you don't train them, they will train you! ;) (I've definitely been trained a few times. :lau )

At least now I tend to see it coming before it gets too bad!

Let me put it this way....good poultry nutrition is nothing new. Feed companies pay good money to have nutritional experts, formulate their feed. All the nutritional requirements are met. Chick feeds are optimized for best for growth, and development, layer feeds are optimized for egg production, etc.

Chickens can only hold so much food per day. By offering too many treats, which are NOT balanced for their nutritional needs, it will eventually create an imbalance. Bread lacks a lot of vitamins, and especially minerals, in proper proportions to fully support egg production. It won't take it's toll right away, but over time, it will.

Chickens that free range, will usually be able to get most of what they need from their foraging, however, that is not always so. Many that free range find that they still need to provide occasional commercial feed to keep nutrition balanced, and optimized.

Back
Top Bottom