How much brooder space do 2 cayuga ducklings need?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckieLover8, Feb 1, 2015.

1. DuckieLover8

DuckieLover8 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    Hi, I'm about to get 2 Cayuga ducklings and I was wondering how much space they needed in the brooder. I know that they huddle when cold,(even though they have a heat lamp) and when they're hot, they need a comfortable distance from each other.
    Thanks![​IMG][​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Welcome to BYC and congrats on getting 2 Cayuga ducklings you will be in love at first sight. Okay according to Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks [which by the way every duck owner should have] written by Dave Holderread who is leading authority on Ducks and geese says medium[Cayuga ducklings] to large size breeds started on litter allow a min. of .75 sq feet of floor space per bird for first 2 weeks,1.75 sq feet until 4 weeks of age 2.75 sq feet per duckling until 6 weeks of age 3-5 sq feet per bird there after. The larger the better, make sure you have a reliable thermometer to keep track of temp in your brooder when duckings are cold they will huddle under heat and when hot they will lay away from heat . Duckling love to cuddle with each other though makes them feel secure. When they arrive please post pics Cayugas are one of my favorite breeds.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711
    Lots of great info here

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. DuckieLover8

DuckieLover8 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    Thank you!! very helpful info.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by