how much can you hold baby chicks?

It was suggested to me to let them alone for the first week(reduces stress), then hold one minute a day per chick,,,and as they get older you can be more interactive...I'm not that experienced to have a perspective....two cents...

I would agree to leave them be for the first couple weeks but do go visit them so they get used to your face and voice. after that i used to hold mine for a good 10 mins or so, just be sure to be very gentle and if they want to go be sure to let them down so they know you are not a threat. and as they age you should be able to hold them more and more without them wanting to leave. I used to have 14 RIR's that i could pick up and literally have them all on my arms, head and shoulders and walk around without them flying off. mine would actually run to meet me and eat out of my hand. So basically be around to visit them (used to visit mine 3 hours a day), be gentle to them (dont impose threats) and do not over hold them, and you should have chickens as loyal as dogs in the end. Happy raising :)

i always hold one for about 1 min then switch to a nother and a nother than i leave them alone for about...1 hour than come back and repeat
smile.png

heres a vid of me and my dad getting chicks P.S. you can skip it after we get the chicks in the brooder

i always hold one for about 1 min then switch to a nother and a nother than i leave them alone for about...1 hour than come back and repeat
smile.png

heres a vid of me and my dad getting chicks P.S. you can skip it after we get the chicks in the brooder
Wow. your little peepers are loud. lol Mine are not that loud. Maybe because yours were more confused, what with being part of our dying postal service and all. Mine came from TS, which was nice because they were already on shavings by the time I got them and had a day to chill after transport.
My daughter is in love with our birds. And the birds all perked their heads up from a nap when they heard yours peeping. haha
Thanks for the cute video. :)

Wow. your little peepers are loud. Lol Mine are not that loud. Maybe because yours were more confused, what with being part of our dying postal service and all. Mine came from TS, which was nice because they were already on shavings by the time I got them and had a day to chill after transport.
My daughter is in love with our birds. And the birds all perked their heads up from a nap when they heard yours peeping. haha
Thanks for the cute video. :)
Thanks! We have them on paper towels for the first 3 days so they don't eat the shavings and if they eat shaving 1.its not good for them 2.they will fill up on that and not there food and get vitamin deficiency's

Once a day, I pick all of the chicks up one at a time and hold them. I look them over and check all their parts. I don't necessarily worry that something is wrong, but I want them to be used to being looked over. At some point in the future, I might need to check for problems. Then I hold them on my hand so that they can fly down to the brooder whenever they are ready. Some of them are taming down faster than others, but I want chicks that can be handled. After about a week, I handle them more and let my kids play with them more.

After a devastating accident with a favorite chick two years ago, I have rather strict rules for my kids. My kids are allowed to hold them with a few rules. Only one chick is allowed out of the brooder at a time. Chicks are not allowed on the floor at all. If a chick flutters down to the floor, the person who was holding the chick is to yell "Chick on the floor!" and everybody freezes until an adult gets the chick up off of the floor. They are allowed to watch the chicks as much as they want, they can reach in and pet the chicks as much as they want and they can hold them as long as they want, one at a time. The thought of another accident causes an anxiety attack, but accidents are preventable.

Back
Top Bottom