How much can you make from selling animals?

I have managed to get them to pay their own way. Chick and egg sales pays for their feed, medications and egg cartons. Every time I have saved some of their own earned money, I improve something to make them more comfortable...... And poof all their money is gone! However my chickens are my only self-sustaining hobby.

I have managed to get them to pay their own way. Chick and egg sales pays for their feed, medications and egg cartons. Every time I have saved some of their own earned money, I improve something to make them more comfortable...... And poof all their money is gone! However my chickens are my only self-sustaining hobby.
Ha yeah I know what you mean. Aside from medication, I can grow my own feed, but I don't know a good quail recipe

I am wanting to do the same. Is there avgood site for getting the regulations on selling eggs and meat? I also want to go into the goat cheese, but I would think they would be at the same site

You won't make any money in small volumes of common animals at least not enough to make it profitable as a job... You can make it pay for itself as a hobby though with small volumes... For example I sell enough chicken eggs to pay for all the feed and bedding of my chickens, peas and Guineas and can even stash away a few bucks for coop improvements, but it's not anything to brag about...

If you want to make money you either have to go all out with 100s if not 1000s of animals and/or deal in higher return animals like exotics or rare species...

Last edited:
I was told by some co=workers they knew of one guy in our area who would buy and sell animals and was starting to make enough money he was thinking of quitting his job to do it full time, but this was him buying in one area and selling in another not raising a "crop" of animals and making a profit. but I am sure his margins where going to be slim and just in essence he would be working 50-60 hours a week to eeek out a living (he was doing that at the job he had already so it would be getting out of answering to a boss and customers whom you HAD to sell to with the line of work he was in rather than ones you could say goodbye to if they where pains in the neck.

Back
Top Bottom