How much DE do I use on Deep Litter?

AllChookUp

Will Shut Up for Chocolate
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Frozen Lake, MN
I've read through a lot of posts on the use of DE, and I don't think it's been specified.

I'm using the deep litter method and it's working great so far. I put down some DE, and tried using a flour sifter, but it didn't work too well. I read that another person uses old pantyhose, but I didn't have any available, so I just grabbed a bunch in my hand and kind of tossed it around on the floor and in the nest boxes.

What I put down probably amounted to a fine spreading in most places, with a few mounds in others.

How do I know the right amount to use? Did I use too much or too little?

This is a good question and I await an answer for you
smile.png
I tried the flour sifter to but my hand got tired:rolleyes: So I just grabbed a handful and started tossing it around.

Yes, I used my wife's flour sifter that is the "squeeze" variety - And my hand got tired quickly, too.

I think the old-fashioned "crank" kind of flour sifter could possibly work better, but for now, it'd be great to have some type of guideline for how much to use. Hopefully someone wise can help us... ; - )

Thank you for asking this I to was wondering how much do you us ,
were do you put it just in the coop or in the run as well ? Do you dust the chickens with it to , and do you start using it from day one ?

Thanks

I've heard others also use it in the run, however I've just used it to dust the littler and the nest boxes.

I've also heard others mix it in with feed to kill parasitesin their feces.

I just add a light layer of food grade DE to the litter for the deep litter method. Whenever I add fresh pine shavings, I stir the litter up first, add the layer of DE, then just cover that with a light layer of shavings.

You can see pix of what I'm talking about on my DLM page.

I also use it in the run to help dry the pooh faster and have recently been using it in the chick brooder. Check out my Food Grade DE page, when you get a chance. It explains where/how I use it.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

I use it when i change the hay in both the nests and the coop. I just use it by the handful onboth.I also rub the roost down really good with it just in case my ladies have mites or fleas, We have the biggest fleas this year Ihave ever seen,they are about to carry my dogs away.
barnie.gif
marrie

Quote:
When I did my coop I used a colander. It was a metal on with round holes in it. and had a handle on it. It worked great.

Back
Top Bottom