How much DE do I use?

NewChickHere

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
The beautiful coast of NC
I see so much great stuff about DE and finally bought a big bag of food grade kind. But I am not sure how to use it. I have read over and over to "sprinkle" it all over the coop floor but how much is a sprinkle? And my floor is a 10x12. I am doing the DLM so I would love to know cups sizes. Like 2 cups for the whole place overall or 4 cups etc. And like in a nesting box, is it just a dab or a pretty good sprinkling? Thank you for any help. Kim
smile.png

I dont use a certain amount so to speak...I just grab cup fulls out of the bag and sprinkle it till I have a good coating on everything....I even took the cup across the back of my hens the other day
tongue.png

Ok thanks. Now after you sprinkle it on top of everything do you then stir it up or leave it? Sorry for so many questions. I am a new chicken mama with 16 week old babies that I can't hardly wait to get the first egg from. I know I'll be doing the happy dance for sure! lol.
wee.gif

I have 33 chicks altogether, 31 hens and 2 roos. I just want to make sure I am doing all I can to keep them healthy. Oh and today we had Tropical Storm Beryl that soaked everything. I hear DE will help keep things dry. Is it good to put on wet shavings or do I need to clean the whole coop out and then put some in it? I'm doing the DLM so I really hate to clean the whole thing out.
idunno.gif
Thanks. Kim

DE = Diatomaceous earth it is in an easy to understand ground up seashell, stuff. Used mostly in swimming pool filters

Can you buy this stuff at a local farm store ?

You should be able to find it at a farm store more than anywhere else. Make sure you get the food grade kind. Call them first to see if they have it. All DE (food grade and otherwise) should be handled carefully and most importantly kept away from your mouth and nose. Do not breathe it in. Diatomaceous earth is a chalky power derived from the fossilized remains of microscopic plankton. DE contains silica which is a known respiratory irritant and a suspected carcinogen.

Here is an interesting website about the human benefits of food grade DE. http://www.earthworkshealth.com/human-use.php

Here is an interesting website about the human dangers of food grade DE. http://www.ehow.com/info_8215850_dangers-grade-diatomaceous-earth-exposure.html

Back
Top Bottom