How much Diatomaceous Earth to use in the coop?

Tacswa3

Songster
9 Years
Dec 16, 2013
Mid-Atlantic
How much is acceptable to use sprinkled or mixed in with the shavings? Whether you use it for parasite control or odor control etc?

Also, I bought food grade at my local feed store but it is a light brown color. I thought food grade was white? The reps at the feed store said the opposite. (non-food grade is reddish clay color)

Hi. As long as it says food grade it's what you should be using. I believe the color depends on the brand. I buy two different brands on and off and the colors range from white-ish to gray.

How much is acceptable to use sprinkled or mixed in with the shavings? Whether you use it for parasite control or odor control etc?

Also, I bought food grade at my local feed store but it is a light brown color. I thought food grade was white? The reps at the feed store said the opposite. (non-food grade is reddish clay color)

I fill a bucket of DE and leave it over in the coop with a screen sifter. I grab a sifter full and dust the poop boards and bedding when I want to dry things out. It is great to keep things dry! I use Sweet PDZ to make the coop smell great and Python Dust in the warm months to control parasites. Oh... and my DE is grey in color (I buy at Tractor Supply). If you bought it at a feed store then it is most likely food grade. It is commonly used in horse stalls and in other livestock bedding.

Python Dust is a livestock safe insecticide power. I use it on the goats, in their bedding, as well as on poop boards and coop bedding. It wipes out ticks, fleas, mites, flies, lice and nuisance bugs. I also pick that up at Tractor Supply. Works great!

Back
Top Bottom