How much Diatomaceous Earth to use in the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tacswa3, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Tacswa3

Tacswa3 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2013
    MD
    How much is acceptable to use sprinkled or mixed in with the shavings? Whether you use it for parasite control or odor control etc?

Also, I bought food grade at my local feed store but it is a light brown color. I thought food grade was white? The reps at the feed store said the opposite. (non-food grade is reddish clay color)

2. Messipaw

Messipaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Hi. As long as it says food grade it's what you should be using. I believe the color depends on the brand. I buy two different brands on and off and the colors range from white-ish to gray.

3. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    I fill a bucket of DE and leave it over in the coop with a screen sifter. I grab a sifter full and dust the poop boards and bedding when I want to dry things out. It is great to keep things dry! I use Sweet PDZ to make the coop smell great and Python Dust in the warm months to control parasites. Oh... and my DE is grey in color (I buy at Tractor Supply). If you bought it at a feed store then it is most likely food grade. It is commonly used in horse stalls and in other livestock bedding.

4. Tacswa3

Tacswa3 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2013
    MD
    Ok that helps, thanks you two for the responses. I'll have to look into the python dust.

5. riverrunner

riverrunner Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2013
    Decaturville Tn
    What is the Python dust and what would it be used to treat?

6. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Python Dust is a livestock safe insecticide power. I use it on the goats, in their bedding, as well as on poop boards and coop bedding. It wipes out ticks, fleas, mites, flies, lice and nuisance bugs. I also pick that up at Tractor Supply. Works great!

7. riverrunner

riverrunner Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2013
    Decaturville Tn
    Thanks. I will have to try it for the flies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by