how much do 8 week muscovies normally weigh

TeamRetic

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 16, 2012
Bay Area, CA
I am wondering, how much do 8 week normally weigh. My muscovies are going to be 8 weeks old in a few days and they seem to gain a lot of weight pretty fast and starting to grow like a weed. A few days ago, they both weigh 4 lbs each. Now my white one weighs 4.6 lbs and my dark one weigh 4.2 lbs. Is this normal? How much does yours guys muscovies weigh around 8 weeks old?

If they are drakes they have some substance to them, the girls don't they are pretty light... heck even my 5mth duck cannot weigh much. Sorry i have never weighed a single bird here, no need.

If they are drakes they have some substance to them, the girls don't they are pretty light... heck even my 5mth duck cannot weigh much. Sorry i have never weighed a single bird here, no need.

My white one feels very solid and heavy for its size. When I lift it, it feels stronger then the other one. It also nibble more then the other one. I weigh them and the white one still .4lbs heavier.

The white Muscovy is a larger "meat" bird - I have whites and colored Muscovy and all my white Drakes are the largest. I bought two different batches last spring and the whites where advertised as being a "larger stain"

JM Hatchery "These White Muscovy Ducks were bred in France for increased meat production. The lean, tender meat is desired by many restaurants"

The white Muscovy is a larger "meat" bird - I have whites and colored Muscovy and all my white Drakes are the largest. I bought two different batches last spring and the whites where advertised as being a "larger stain"

JM Hatchery "These White Muscovy Ducks were bred in France for increased meat production. The lean, tender meat is desired by many restaurants"
Yes, My biggest drake a white is from a hatchery but i'd have to look on their site, i don't know what they say for sizing. All the other drakes here are farm birds purchased from individuals, or hatched here from these bought from private farms and they are all coloured birds.

ETA;
My hatchery says something somewhat close mind you I don't find ducks that are hatchery to be larger.. i only have one left from my original straight run.. the rest of my ducks are not hatchery birds yet to i don't find her to be of any greater substance, only the drakes.

Anyways, a Quote from the hatchery.

"To enhance the natural advantages of the Muscovy, there has been a lot of genetic research and selection done in France. As a result, strides have been made in increasing feed efficiency and improving growth rates. The new hybrid Muscovy ducklings look like the original Muscovy, but they eat somewhat more per bird per day, and grow more rapidly. "

Last edited:
I would agree that only the white drakes are larger, my white ducks are the same size (or smaller) than my colored muscovy ducks. I will be keeping some of both for breeding this spring.

I notice in my white one, it walks around with its neck stretched up and it looks taller. It always try to look taller and its chest sticks out. The dark one has a very short neck. I wonder if you guys see that in your ducks. Do the drakes walk around trying to look tall with its chest sticking out and the females having shorter necks.

I took some pictures of them today. The white one starting to look bigger then the other one, but someone in a diffirent group thought they were both females.

Back
Top Bottom