How much do breeding meat birds eat

So I'm going to start raising meat birds in a few years, and have decided on Chanteclers. Whenever I search up how much meat birds eat, it gives me the amount for commercial birds that will be slaughtered, and when I search for dual purpose, it gives the ingredients that are needed in the feed. I need to know how much the ones I keep for breeding purposes will eat at full size. For the average chicken some sources say 4 ounces/day, some say 6 ounces, and I wonder if either of these are suitable? Roosters weigh 8-9 lbs, and hens weigh 6-7.5 lbs.
Cornish X has the best feed to meat convertion, but they should be processed at 2 months or earlier. If you want meat and eggs, I would go with this line of New Hampshires https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/shop/product/new-hampshire-gmo-free-chicken/.

In my breediong pen, I have some Breese crossed with cornish x F2s (one rooster, and 2 hens) I feed them 1 mason pint jar of layer feed in the morning and after noon. The hens lay almost everyday with this ration. However, the 8 hens that I have free ranging have a feeder that I keep filled with feed. This bunch don't lay as much eggs as the ones on a set ration. I think they have too much fat in their ovary ducks from the all you can eat feeding.

I put the F2 breeders on ration because the rooster was 12lbs at 4 months old, they slimmed down and maintain a set weight. The hens also lay more eggs on this ration. I hatch eggs when I need more meat, the chicks from these are processed at 3 months old. They get big, but take a month longer to reach the same weight as cornish x.

They are sustainable and can live normal lives.

Last edited:
I have the Freedom Ranger hatchery New Hampshires.

My thread is Ramblings of a newbie…

I have 7-10+ lb live weights on my birds at 12-14 weeks with processed weights ranging between 5-8+ pounds.

These are some of the most docile birds I have ever worked with, and while I don’t 100% trust ANY intact male of any species of breeding age, my New Hampshire roosters are some of most chill guys in the coops (I have had 3 now that I kept beyond the 14 week cull date and all three were chill).

I live in central IL - I’m about to die of heat stroke today (and 90% of the days in June - August), but we also get single digit temps in the winter — my NH boys (and girls!) came through last winter with zero frostbite, despite having a super nasty cold spell at Christmas where leghorns, orpingtons, and an australorp all suffered frostbite damage — and despite my concerns, with plenty of shade and an open air hoop coop, they are handling the summer heat just fine.
So it seems that the NHs are a good breed. I guess I'll have to try those out! Thanks for your information!

So, as FunClucks suggested, I found a second breed to try along with the Chanteclers. I chose Naked Necks, a.k.a. Turkens. Now, I was hesitant about choosing them because of the lack of feathering, but I looked at a lot of sources, and they said that Turkens would do fine in the cold. And if they don't, I'll be keeping the breeding pairs separate anyway, so I might as well have them in the coop during winter. And I won't know until I try.
The reason this breed interested me is because, due to the lack of energy diverted to feathering, they can put more energy into growing. This also means that they're easier to pluck, and I've heard they have no hair!
Although they take a while to grow, I think it's worth it for the amount of meat produced. I'm looking for quality and quantity, rather than fast growth. After all, this isn't a business--- at least, not yet.
They lay a good amount of eggs and are good broody mamas, although they can't keep as many eggs warm. This is alright, though, since I can hatch more out in the incubator or other broody mamas.
I'm considering the NH reds, but I figure two types of chickens is enough for one year.
Also, about the feed conversion and the effects of free ranging them. I found this thread-
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...eat-tears-a-calculator-or-deep-pockets.78655/
-and I figure this would be a good idea to try out to reduce feed costs. I'm all for alternative feeding, and no- to low-effort food? Awesome. I think this would make the longer grow time worth it, especially since I'm aiming for an easily sustainable breed that can partially care for it's own food needs.

So, as FunClucks suggested, I found a second breed to try along with the Chanteclers. I chose Naked Necks, a.k.a. Turkens. Now, I was hesitant about choosing them because of the lack of feathering, but I looked at a lot of sources, and they said that Turkens would do fine in the cold. And if they don't, I'll be keeping the breeding pairs separate anyway, so I might as well have them in the coop during winter. And I won't know until I try.
The reason this breed interested me is because, due to the lack of energy diverted to feathering, they can put more energy into growing. This also means that they're easier to pluck, and I've heard they have no hair!
Although they take a while to grow, I think it's worth it for the amount of meat produced. I'm looking for quality and quantity, rather than fast growth. After all, this isn't a business--- at least, not yet.
They lay a good amount of eggs and are good broody mamas, although they can't keep as many eggs warm. This is alright, though, since I can hatch more out in the incubator or other broody mamas.
I'm considering the NH reds, but I figure two types of chickens is enough for one year.
Also, about the feed conversion and the effects of free ranging them. I found this thread-
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...eat-tears-a-calculator-or-deep-pockets.78655/
-and I figure this would be a good idea to try out to reduce feed costs. I'm all for alternative feeding, and no- to low-effort food? Awesome. I think this would make the longer grow time worth it, especially since I'm aiming for an easily sustainable breed that can partially care for it's own food needs.
I have some NN chickens. The boys grew the fastest out of all my heritage breeds I initially got. I kept the hens that I got out of the group and I hatched one of their chicks this spring.

Something no one has ever mentioned about naked neck chicks that is another benefit is that there is not much fuzz around the vent area, so pasty butt isn't really an issue. The breed was really weird to me at first, but they have grown on me a lot. Very sweet hens.

I have some NN chickens. The boys grew the fastest out of all my heritage breeds I initially got. I kept the hens that I got out of the group and I hatched one of their chicks this spring.

Something no one has ever mentioned about naked neck chicks that is another benefit is that there is not much fuzz around the vent area, so pasty butt isn't really an issue. The breed was really weird to me at first, but they have grown on me a lot. Very sweet hens.
Oh, great! I'm also a bit thrown off by their appearance, but any chicken besides a mean chicken will most likely grow on me.

Back
Top Bottom