How much do chickens eat?

CaptainPoulet

Chirping
Apr 25, 2021
Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario
This is the feeder that came with my baby chick kit. That’s an adult size hat for reference.

Is this enough food for 4 hens, along with whatever they scratch up in the garden and all the water they can handle?

My chicks are just 9 weeks and 5 weeks right now, but should I be buying a bigger container when they’re fully grown?

Attachments

• 239E57C6-33EF-43C4-9930-3CCA1ACAED40.jpeg
    239E57C6-33EF-43C4-9930-3CCA1ACAED40.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 6
How often will you be checking the feeder?

For 4 adult full size hens that should be enough for a couple days.

I do find that mine will scoop feed out of the dishes with shallow trays. My current dish is the old fashioned metal hanging style. The lip on that is about 1.5 inches tall.

Last edited:
How often will you be checking the feeder?

For 4 adult full size hens and hat should be enough for a couple days.

I do find that mine will scoop feed out of the dishes with shallow trays. My current dish is the old fashioned metal hanging style. The lip on that is about 1.5 inches tall.
I take food out first thing in the morning, and check in the afternoon.

The "thumb rule" is that the average generic chicken will eat about 1/4# (roughly half a cup) per day. Of course, none of us have average generic chickens - such birds exist only in the dictionary - but its a good place to start from as you dial in your feed needs.

Assuming you don't raise your birds in a climate controlled environment, figure that number will vary a bit seasonally, with changes in the birds themselves (initial growth, onset of egg lay, beginning of molt), by breed, and with illness/injury.

If you feed crumble, your loss due to waste can be quite high as well (surprised your birds aren't tipping that and spilling it, even hanging as you have it). Many owners moisten the crumble to an oatmeal-like consistency to reduce waste, or alternatively, ferment it - though a feeder like yours won't work for that management practice.

That looks like a 5# or 6# feeder, should be good for 5 or 6 days.

Back
Top Bottom