How much do chickens eat?

ellie32526

Songster
10 Years
Oct 21, 2012
North Texas
Can someone tell me how much a chicken eats each day? I know it will probably be a trial and error kind of thing to find the right amount for my birds, (I will have 13) but I was looking for a starting point. I don't want to put out too much food and have leftovers to attract unwanted animals. I was thinking of putting some in the inside feeder in the morning just enough for them to eat and then have a little outside in case they get hungry during the day. I work during the day so I would feed them again when I get home in the evening. They will have a yard 10' X 20' to forage during the day.

Large fowl chickens eat about 1/3 pound per day. I just keep the feeder full and it hangs under the coop, you can always bring in the feed each night.

My outside feeder would be attached to the wall so not easy to bring in at night but if I am wondering if I only put a little feed outside and the majority inside would the hens be smart enough to go inside if there was no food left outside. Maybe I just need to get a more portable feeder for outside

It is a trial and error leaning curve. If you pay attention to mow much they have left you can adjust the amount you put out for them. Chickens do remember where they have found food before and go back to that place. It took awhile, but mine have found where I feed the cats outside. When I leave them out in the evening, I have to pick up the cats' dishes. They still go there to check for anything left.

Thats cool. I I have seven dogs so when I am home I will let the girls out to forage in my big yard after I secure the dogs so they don't chase or kill the chickens.have decided to make the outside feeder the portable kind so I can bring it into the coop at night. I decided I will use the second PVC feeder I made for grit. Thanks for your insight.

Back
Top Bottom