How much do I need to feed my chickens

I have pvc food dispensers and they have access to the food all day. It has the layer crumbles. We want to eliminate that so we can monitor how much their eating.
Unless they are spilling the food, they really do need to eat as much as they are eating.

Chickens will typically not over-eat when they have a complete feed (like your layer pellets.) They usually eat the right amount to stay in good health and produce eggs, without getting too fat.

If you try to limit their feed, they will typically not lay as many eggs, and at some point they get skinny and unhealthy.

So I would try to make sure they are not spilling (wasting) the food, and that no wild animals are eating it (mice, rats, squirrels, wild birds, etc.) But I would not try to limit how much the chickens themselves eat.

I would expect 50 pounds of feed to last about a month for 6 chickens. If you are going through it a lot faster than that, I suggest you double-check whether it's getting spilled or whether other creatures are eating it too. If you are using a lot less feed than that, it would mean they are still getting a lot of their nutrition from the compost pile and other stuff available to them.

I would expect 50 pounds of feed to last about a month for 6 chickens. If you are going through it a lot faster than that, I suggest you double-check whether it's getting spilled or whether other creatures are eating it too.
excellent information right here to use as a general rule of thumb.
Last week I noticed an uptick in amt of feed being consumed; 75# in 3 weeks despite culling 3 birds told me I had a thief. Yesterday I finally caught a chipmunk in the run (daytime) while big girls were ranging. Five 9 wk olds watched from the run..they never leave it and we quite unsurprised to see the thief so it’s been going on for a while. Anyway, the thief is no more.
Bottom libe is to know the average your chickens should be eating and monitor for changes.

Hello!
With the rising cost of grain I’m trying to cut costs on grain. How much do I need to feed my laying hens per day and how can I cut costs? We feed them table scraps right now. Our bag of organic grain increased to $107 for a 50pd bag!!!
Jesus Christ $107/bag, my tractor supply sells 16% layer pellets for $10.50/bag. Granted it’s not organic mumbo jumbo.

Look up Justin Rhodes you tube video’s he has great ideas on how to feed your chickens organically and for a low cost. Good luck 🍀 the struggle is real I feel ya.

Back
Top Bottom