How much do you barter with your eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iajewel, Jan 15, 2011.

1. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Its always hard to find some of those hard to find breeds. Im always searching it seems for Rose comb RIR and ducks. I have learned allot more come out of the wood work when you can barter. People seem to like to get something other then money in return allot of times. How much to you barter? and what do you normally trade? with me its eggs when I have them, website work, graphics, or leather work. Sometimes even my show rabbits (Flemish)

2. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Its funny because I haven't really experienced bartering up until recently.

just this week I went to pick up more hay/straw and the farm owner asked me if my chickens were laying already I said yes. Well she returned my money and said you can pay me in eggs, I much rather receive eggs than money. I sell mine for 2.50 a dozen, but she wouldn't pay that, she said I was selling myself short and paid 4.00 a dozen instead, which is what she charges per bale. so we broke even, plus she gave me over 100 egg cartons. I think it was indeed a very good bartering experience if you ask me :-D

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

I've bartered eggs and chickens for fencing, farm work, firewood and lots more.

Don't have any fancy breeds to barter for other fancy breeds... but I'm working on it.

If you were closer I'd be trying to barter YOU outta some of those Flemish. Haven't had any in years, but loved them when I had them.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  4. OrloffTom

OrloffTom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    NC
    Holy Cow $4.00 a dozen? Guys I work with feel like I'm over priced by charging $1.50 lol but my sister-in-law and father-in-law pay us $2 a dozen when they buy. My first barter was actually this week too. We went into work late due to the weather and the canteen wasn't gonna be open for breakfast so I called a co-worker that wasn't coming in til later to pick me up a couple sausage biscuits. So, we bartered a dozen eggs for the biscuits since I didn't have much cash on me and I took him the eggs the next day.

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Quote:Don't feel bad OrloofTom, but don't sell yourself short either. We've always sold ours for $1.50 a dozen, but went up to $2.00 this year ($2.50 if they don't bring a carton to exchange) and so far no one has batted an eye. Still selling all I can get.
    And I might add.. everyone in our area charges $1.50. Go figure [​IMG]

6. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it has a lot to do with supply and demand on back yard eggs. Some areas that doesn't have a lot of back yard flocks will easily get 3-4 dollars a doz. I went to the store today and a dozen of brown store eggs were almost 3 bucks and that was from battery hens. My good friend down the street has a small sign out in her front yard that says simply Fresh Eggs 2.50 a dozen. She can't keep eggs. Of course she only has 6 hens.

If people understood how those store bought eggs were manufactured... (no other way to describe it) they wouldn't buy another.

My target price will be $3.00.. 2.50 if they return the carton. IF MY CHICKENS WILL EVER START LAYING>> lol

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  7. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Lets try $4-$5 a doz. in the NYC area. I don't sell mine mind you.....I give them to my good neighbors.[​IMG]

8. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Lets try $4-$5 a doz. in the NYC area. I don't sell mine mind you.....I give them to my good neighbors.[​IMG]

9. lizrndiver

lizrndiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    South Beloit, IL
    I have been bartering lately too. My husband takes some of the eggs on his work route (he is in sales) and he will trade as well. So far we have traded for backyard honey, raw milk, pork, babysitting, and this week I traded for peanut butter pretzels from Costco (I am addicted and the closest Costco is 90 minutes away).

Sometimes I joke that I feel like a crack dealer. I will give people their first dozen for free because I am so such that they will be hooked on my eggs that they will become regular customers. It hasn't failed yet. In fact I went from 4 hens, to 16, to 48, and I have 56 eggs in the bator. (there is another addiction).

Liz

10. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:yup I was shocked too, but hey if she wants to pay that that is up to her. Like I said I charge 2.50 a dozen which is lower than both other farms in my area, one sells her for $3 a dozen and the other 3.50 a dozen. I am cheaper than both and recently have had a spike in customers from word of mouth references in town. I don't mind I as I am selling most of my eggs well except the ones I keep for myself.

Ema

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by