How much do you feed your ducks?

I weigh out the food according to their weight and give it all in the morning, they then visit it during the day and eat what they want, when they want. if at night the dish is totally empty I put a few more scoops in until they don't eat it. it then gets taken in my house to stay dry and avoid vermin. then weighed out the following day.

we treat them too with greens and brewers malt. these you could get for free. visit your local green grocer and ask for the bits they cut off the lettuce cabbage etc. local craft brewery will more often than not let you have the malt for free as they have to pay to dispose of it!

I remember my 4 ducks at 7-8 weeks old going through 5 kgs of feed per week, and an even larger amount of greens, plus treats of egg white and chicken breast, so maybe 12 kgs of food in total each week.

So that's 3 kgs (1.25 kgs feed) per duck each week, 430 g each day per duck, 180 g of which were feed.

Each time I brought their feed I would be greeted with happy quacks, though I wouldn't say I made them nuts or they were always starved. They did devour quickly when starved, but the food lasted a few hours each time (I fed them twice a day).

I hope I could have ducks that come running at me though. My ducks wouldn't do that, they would approach me only when I put the feed down in front of me, otherwise they walk away.

We buy 50 lbs of seed and crumble every... 3 weeks I believe. We also purchase extra cracked corn, black oil sunflower seeds, and peanuts. So we spend about 20-22 dollars on feed a month. Let's not factor in lettuce, tomatoes and other treats. It's probably embarrassing.

I put two small drinking tumbler (I think it is 10 or 12 oz) measures of food in the morning and at night. They browse that all day. Our ducks also have free range of our backyard and hunt and browse through leaf litter, mulch and grass. They get treats from us at least 3 times a day. They eat them like they are starving. I think they just enjoy eating...

I have put in an “auto” feeder and it has made my life easier. They are not so panicky now when I come in, just interested-
They now know feed is available and go bqck and forth from that to the water all day.
I do have to refill the feeder at least 1x a day and the water about 3-4 times ( they love to throw water around!)

Back
Top Bottom