1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much do you feed your ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sandcat, Nov 4, 2010.

1. sandcat

sandcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    I give my ducks free range chicken pellets and scraps, I see the ducks pecking away in the mud and in the grass and wondered how much they really get from the ground, my ducks just roam around our house, we are on a large rural property so they do as they please I know there are heaps of worms and slugs everywhere but still wonder how much i should be feeding them, they get about a 2 litre icecream container a day(between 3 ducks) of the pellets and any scraps that we have.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Well it might be different for your ducks. But i just keep a decent amount of food in there night pen that isn't right up against there water so it doesn't become a mess and let them eat till there full. mine free range during the day but are still "starving" when they get to there night pen.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    food 24/7 and free range-so I have no idea how much they eat???

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Thats sounds about the same as I give 3 of mine in one of the pens I have. They are fed twice a day with pellets- and get a 1 litre scoop each time. They also get fresh fruit / vegetables each day and have lucerne hay in the night pens. They do get a little more in winter when there isnt as much to forrage.

5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I had to cut back after one developed a keel. She has walked it off nicely. Now I have increased it, because I've noticed they are all more hungry. I use a hard plastic cup to measure out what they are getting. I basically count the scoops so they are always getting the same amount. 1/3 pound of feed per ducks per day is what is recommended. Obviously you have to adjust, if they free range and eat all kind of stuff on top of it. It's getting colder so they are finding less and I have to add more. Plus they are laying eggs now too so that needs to be compensated for too.

6. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I put mazur waterfowl maintence out in the morning and in the night pen.. They also get a salad chopped up in the evening.. ( greens, fruit, veggies) what ever I have collected... I also give them some grain oat groats, wheat, a little whole corn now that it's been getting colder,, in the spring I will leave out the wheat.. and the corn.. they also get a handfull or so of cat food several times a week. plus what the sneak from the cats bowl LOL.. they free range during the day also

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:Pretty much the same thing here only when they are locked up in the predator proof enclosures at night, I pick up their feed.

8. Blondiega1

Blondiega1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    Mine get about a 1- 1 1/2 cups of poulty/duck feed and 1/2 bag of (family size) frozen corn that I have thawed out.
    Frankly, they eat more of the corn than they do the grain! [​IMG]
    I feed them once a day and they forage around our lake all day and evening.

They come home PROMPTLY at 6:30 every evening and are waiting on me to bring them their dinner!
    They are nice and plump but not overweight so I think they are getting enough.

They usually leave some grain in the bowl when they have finished eating. If they ever empty their bowl completely then I feed them a little more the next day.

9. NajmoNests

NajmoNests Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    E. Central, MN
    Free ranging call ducks with indoor cafeteria year round. Five gallon hanging feeder in "duck room". They must go inside to eat; heated water 4' from feed. Currently feeder contains: shell corn, cracked corn, duck 'n goose pellets and wheat. This is fall feed preparing for MN winter. Feeder is kept full of this assorted mix and my small flock of 2 dozen quackers have access 24/7 all year round. They eat greens, bugs, worms, etc but always chow down at feeder before dark.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have game bird feed available to my ducks 24/7. None are fat. They also get greens of some sort in their water bucket in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by