How much do you sell your processed meat birds for?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by momofchicks, Oct 6, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Do you price them by the pound? Do you sell them for $1.00 or more than what it cost to process them? How do you price yours?

2. RJ_Hythloday

RJ_Hythloday Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2008
    Zion
    I bought a fresh chicken from the farmers market $4.75lb. It cost me $18 but I figured it would be worth it for my birthday dinner. Turned out tough as can be, I think they mixed a culled bird in w/ the meat birds, IDK I was pretty disappointed though.

3. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    That's too bad it was tough. The farmer out here is charging $8 for a whole bird (about 3#s) and $9 for a cut up bird. He's selling his farm and I was going to buy 25 meaties but didn't know how to price them. My husbands family thinks $9 is too much for a whole chicken. They said "I can buy a whole cooked chicken at Walmart cheaper than that"? They just don't get the all natural home grown idea yet I guess.

4. NC chicken man

NC chicken man Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Mt. Pleasant,NC
    we srll ours for $3.80 per lb and they will avg 5 lbs each and your right you can go to the store and buy cheaper but if it was raised right you want buy none no better.

5. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

The guy down the road sells organic (dressed) chickens. He charges $8 for a very SMALL chicken. The largest are $12.

6. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    I sell mine whole and fresh for $10 each. They average about 4.5 lbs. At the farmer's market here, they go for $2.50-$3/lb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by