How much does it cost to raise a meat chicken?

We keep track of everything, mainly to make sure that we are doing things the most efficient way and that something is not getting out of control by not paying close enough attention.

There are people that keep detailed records and there are people that buy a bag of feed because they just ran out -- and all kinds of people in between. Not going to change them either.

I've often found that many we've actually helped and even those we've had discussions with that don't keep track of the feed usage, weights of birds before /after butcher, etc... usually think it costs too much. You've got to keep track of more than just expenses.

We put our software together that originated from spreadsheets. Once we realized that the spreadsheets couldn't give the details and comparisons as easily as software we started working on it. We want something that only required a few minutes each month. One of my favorite reports to look at and review is the monthly summary. It lets me see everything about out chickens, goats, rabbits, etc... It helps a great deal to have facts in front of you while trying to make decisions.

Our meat and eggs are free or close to it when you consider that we sell enough eggs, animals, meat and milk to pay for what we eat -- it's not just an expense. To do this we use milled feed, sometimes we even do this ourselves.

There are intangibles that you cannot assign a value to such as food independence. It's nice being able to provide a meal almost entirely from your own property.

I believe that the one of the best choices is to by feed local -- ground at a local mill. It a good way to provide very fresh feed and 1/2 the cost.

Old saying: "profit is an opinion and cash is a fact"

You have to compare apples to apples too. An "organic" chicken costs more than commercial chicken.

I've been raising laying hens for about 5 years now and next year we plan to start raising meat birds... I would like to buy more local meats (already belong to a CSA for local veggies) - but I just can't get past the price of local chicken. (we do already buy local ground beef at $5/lb). The latest I've seen local roasters going for around here are $5.50/lb - higher than beef! My local store is selling Perdue for .89/lb. I can get Coleman all-natural chicken for $2.89/lb. Of course I want to buy local, but for a family of 5, $5.50/lb for a chicken dinner is just too much. As much as I believe in buying local, I just cannot get past that price -

Well Mia, you should try raising your own meat birds. I did it this last summer for the first time, it was fun! I raised 20 cornish cross purchased at a feed/farm, and at 7.5 weeks was into them right at $2 a pound (4-6 lb birds). That included two bales of bedding, commercial wild game bird high protein feed, $20 for processing equipment rental from the county extension office, everything but electricity/water/my labor. I built a tractor with repurposed lumber and tin, not including any costs there either. I built my own feeders and waterers from buckets. I used a refrigerator box for a brooder in the garage until week 4. It was a good experience, the freezer is full at a reasonable price. And I found the cornish-x to be sweet birds, if not the most pretty things.

On the subject of getting aggravated, why is it so many people talk about cornish-x being "frankenbirds"? That really gets me. They were selectively bred to grow quickly with big breast meat. Why don't people compain about layers being "frankenbirds"? After all, they lay an egg every day, year around! This is a selectively bred trait! Originally these birds would lay a limited number of eggs only during breeding season. What's up with that?

Last edited:
Quote:
Anything that doesn't fit an activist's political agenda regarding the "man" is automatically braught to verbal ridicule by the activist and then echoed by the followers, no matter what the virtue of the product may be. The alternative solution is often times not very practical nor economically sound for the consumer, but is considered more politically "correct".
idunno.gif

I think people don't see the easily visible health problems associated with high volume laying as readily as they can see the unusual growth rate, CHF and leg problems of the Cornish X. I admit to still being a bit uncomfortable raising Cornish X even though I'm on my second small batch, partly because my first batch was fraught with bad legs and heart problems. Maybe I got a bad batch from the hatchery, maybe it was bad feed, I don't know. I'm using a different hatchery and different feed this time with much better results.
Commercial laying hens look like chickens but they have their own issues- internal laying, calcium problems, egg binding, being basically worn out by two years old. It's just that people can't really see those problems and they look like regular chickens.

It does cost more, but here's why I do it.

I grew up here, in the heart of Pilgrim's Pride Country. In fact, when I went out on patrol this afternoon, I passed Bo's HQ, Feed Mill, Freezer Locker, Bank, Mansion (Cluckingham Palace), and Prayer Tower. I've been in the laying houses, broiler houses, and over to the rendering floor in Mount Pleasant. I see the trucks carrying the chickens out on the road and smell the stench across town from the rendering.

I'm not anti-PP, it was great for our economy, especially for the commercial farmers after the dairy business in Texas tanked. But I see those pathetic looking chickens getting ready to go to butcher and think to myself "that can't possibly be healthy." (Their apperance, not the butchering, I know the butchering isn't healthy for them!)

And isn't a happier chicken a better tasting chicken?

99 cents a lb. for chicken?????????? Where do you shop???? I would sure like to know... I generally pay $8 a lb. sometimes it's on sale and around $5 a lb. But 99 cents a lb??? Ya right!

I eat a very large amount of chicken, mainly for the proteins. How much better is the quality of protein in farm raised as opposed to store bought? Pertaining to working out. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom