how much does it cost

Guinea eggs are a little more here. They can be incubated similar to chicken eggs but have a longer incubation period.

The incubation period for a guinea fowl egg to hatch is 28 days. The length of the incubation period can vary between 26 and 30 days, if the temperature or humidity is off a bit in the incubator.
The correct temperature in an incubator with a fan is 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit, decreasing to 98.5 degrees Fahrenheit during the final three days of incubation. If you have a still air incubator, set it at 101.5 degrees and decrease to 100.5 the last three days. Keep careful track of temperature and humidity throughout the incubation process, as a variance of a single degree can be problematic for the eggs.
The correct humidity for hatching Guinea Fowl eggs is 65% until day 25 and then rising it to 80% until day 28.

Last laying season I sold hatching eggs for $15/dozen. Price will be the same for this coming season, plus shipping if you don't come pick them up. I only ship within CA tho. I don't separate my birds by color, so I only sell mixed batches of eggs (see My BYC Page for examples of how colorful my hatches turn out).

I've hatched a lot of keets, but I've never tried dry hatching with Guinea Fowl eggs... knowing how tough and thick the shells and membrane are even at 55-65% RH, those poor keets may not make it out if the suggested humidity is not provided during incubation and could easily die in the process of trying. I'd feel horrible watching a whole batch struggle and not make it, so that's the main reason I've never tried it. You really only want the egg to lose 13% of it's weight during incubation... I'm not sure how much an egg loses during the course of dry incubation but I'd imagine it's quite a bit more
idunno.gif
IMO keets need the moisture to soften the thick egg shells and also to be able to spin around in the egg easily enough to be able to zip the top off and hatch.

Maybe others that have tried dry incubation with Guinea Fowl eggs will have more input.

Back
Top Bottom