how much exercise do chickens need?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jane, Nov 10, 2007.

1. jane

jane Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Since the predator attack when 2 of my three girls were killed during the day, I have only been letting my remaining hen out when I am around in the garden. This is not always a long time as I have a job and 2 kids! otherwise she is in a smallish coop. We are going to build a bigger coop with more of a run for her and the new girls, but meanwhile, how much free ranging is enough to keep her healthy and happy?

2. Pringle_Sussex

Pringle_Sussex Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Australia
    chickens to sustain a healthy weight need to free range for more than an hour a day... be challenged with tough dirt to scratch at, keep their senses alert with birds that like to swoop them and also if possible... create a obsticle course with sticks used as hurdles and get your chickens to run the course 5 times in a row

[​IMG].... i wasn't being serious....
    But to tell the truth i have created a couple of years ago a little hurdles obsticle course... i need to make it up again and video it lol

3. jkm

jkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Forest Grove
    my four backyard birds seem to need at least an hour a day if the sun is shining, today the sun was really nice and they got an hour, I went for errands, came back and they got three hours.
    on a shady day, 45 minutes is enough.

a minimun seems to be an hour a day , or every other day.
    they run to the birdfeeder, the compost bin and the spot in the sun for a dust bath.
    the need for the dust bath seems to be very important..high value after a rainy day in the covered run.

4. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    could you put something in hte yard that would provide good cover and make you feel safer? i have a pile of branches from yard work piled up together and it makes a good hiding place for hte birds that don't fly. good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by