How much feed do your chickens eat per day?

rguerra75

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 16, 2013
NC
It seems lately that my girls will eat as much as I put out for them. I am using Nutrena layer feed 16%. I have seen charts where they say each bird will eat 1 1/2 per pound per week but does anyone know what that equates to per day in cups? I don't have a scale, and can't quite figure out the numbers.

Additionally, I have 7 hens and it has been significantly colder recently if that matters...they also some food scraps and lentil sprouts. Extras probably come to about 1-2 cups per day for all 7 chickens.

Thanks so much for any thoughts and experiences :)

Get a regular feeder and fill it up they will only eat until they are full, let them have free choice of when to eat, it will make life easier than trying to guess who got enough food. The extras should just be a treat.

I do let them free feed but it seems like amounts have changed recently so I was wondering what others experiences are. I don't care how much each eats, I am just looking for an average. And since everyone has different sized flocks I figured an average per hen was easier to figure out.

I have a large feeder in the coop , fill every 3-4 days an a water can that I fill every day ,so much nicer than having to feed every day, I also feed them scraps from the kitchen , an bread when I have it, I also feed them the discounted greens when the store has some. An I have a oyster shell container in the coop I keep it full.

I have a small flock I give free feed with grit but in the mornings I give three scoops of feed mixed into a mash and add soaked alfalfa square broken up along with a feed I found that has carrots broccoli dates raisins cranberry oatmeal and wheat.i mix that up in a warm mash they eat that all then have free feed if they wish after. I give fresh water every day. For treat I feed meal worm.

i have 8 chickens and i feed them about 8 -10 cups a day and let them go free range
yippiechickie.gif

right now till their new bigger coop and run gets put together my 5 LF cochin girls have a 3 pound feeder that i fill up about every 3 days and they have 24/7 access but i believe thet mostly eat the feed between when they go to bed and are locked up to when i let them out to free range in the morning. my girls get some scratch and alfalfa hay(they get the alfalfa since theirs no green stuff for them to eat right now) once a day and their happy chooks

when their new coop and run is up they'll get a 7 pound feeder but i also have a few more chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom