How much FF to give?

TNPAGirl

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2016
I currently have a group of 13 eighteen week old Ameracanas. I've been feeding fermented grower food for the last 2 weeks. They absolutely love it! My question is, how much do you feed? They get out to footage some evenings for a couple of hours and they get kitchen scraps but the vast majority of their nutrition comes from their feed. It doesn't seem to matter how much I give they clean it up in about 10 minutes. I've been feeding twice a day and aiming for about 1/3-1/2 cup per bird per day. I don't want to make them fat but I don't want to under feed either. They act ravenous at feeding time. Thanks!

My flock of 7 eat a little more than a quart of FF each day, though that's been increasing lately as the forage in the yard is less due to summer heat. They are 24 weeks, and have access to half my backyard all day. I understand those who say only feed as much as they'll eat in 10-15 minutes. Personally, I don't see the difference in having the FF sit in the open hanging dish in the shade, compared to the open container ten feet away. So, I just fill their dish and watch to add more when it's empty, washing it once a week or so. Now, I don't have any other animals or pests who might also eat it. It's what works for me. I do mostly layer pellets, with a mix of homemixed grains and seeds, BOSS, or scratch mixed in my FF.

Back
Top Bottom