How much food does 10 chicks go through in their first 10 weeks?

Show Sebright

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 1, 2020
Orlando FL
I am doing market chickens this year. We get 10 chicks. They are a multi-purpose breed. We don’t know until we pick up the chicks. My advisor is requiring a feeding and care plan. I need to figure out how much feed I will need for the first 10 weeks or is know how much they need for 4 month that is even better. Thank you all so much

I am doing market chickens this year. We get 10 chicks. They are a multi-purpose breed. We don’t know until we pick up the chicks. My advisor is requiring a feeding and care plan. I need to figure out how much feed I will need for the first 10 weeks or is know how much they need for 4 month that is even better. Thank you all so much
You might like to look up the info from "Freedom Ranger Hatchery", they have some very good feeding charts. It makes a difference what breed they are, a Cornish Cross meat chicken will eat like there is no tomorrow, a slower growing bird will eat less for longer to get to a "Market" weight of ~4 pounds.

and the "thumb rule" for a generic bird is 1/4# per chicken per day. If you don't know breeds, or may have a mix of breeds, that could be a good place to start. Then acknowledge that for the first couple weeks, they will likely consume less (but waste plenty), and that feed quantities will be adjusted based on observed feeding behaviors.

If you have a better idea of what you might get, then use, feed charts like those from FRH are a fantastic resource.

and since its raining on me, and I can't get anythign done, how about some links to help you along?

Nutrena (feed manufacturer)
Nature's Best (feed manufacturer)
Purina (feed manufacturer - wants you to offer free choice at all times, no weights offered)
"Dummies"
Cackle (Hatchery)
Livestocking.net (Website) also has a meat bird chart
Organic Feed Store (Layers)
Organic Feed Store (Meat)
University of Kentucky
Gov't of Manitoba
**and**

National Academy (this is quite good, but more detail than you need)

Last edited:
If you have an advisor, then this is for a class? Or 4H club? Then part of the education is how to find reliable information on such things.

Social media can be reliable for such things. One problem is that you will not know which people are reliable (or maybe relevant, which are not the same thing) without learning enough from other sources to evaluate their information.

Back
Top Bottom