1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Berkshiremom, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Berkshiremom

Berkshiremom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Western MA
    How much food should my girls be eating? They are almost 16 weeks, and I have 10 total. Every morning I go out and fill up a 3lb hanging feeder, they are also out in the run all day and get fresh grass and all kinds of garden veggies and scraps, they also get 1 1/2 hours free range in the evening where they go into the woods and dig up all kinds of worms before being locked in the coop at night. My concern is that every evening when I go out to let them free range their feeder is empty. so I normaly put in another scoop about 1 lb. This seems like alot of food for them and was wondering if they are just piggies or if this is about right for chicks their age. I know that nothing is getting into the coop and eating their food as I am home all day and outside for the majority of it, plus my squirrel-hating sheltie is outside guarding my girls!! So .....Are they eating the right amount? too much? too little? Thanks

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They will eat what they need. You should not let feeders go empty, except at night, but then you need to provide food VERY early in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by