How Much Grit to Give Chicks

Kasey

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 10, 2013
Waco, TX
How much grit should I be giving to my chicks?

They are mostly on the medicated crumbles but I give them just a few mealworms or some other little treat in the afternoons. Should I just leave the grit in the pen all the time or just put it down for a little while when I'm out there with them.

Also, every now and they I will see one slurp down a tiny piece of shavings. Is this ok?

Thoughts?

I usually don't give much grit at all but I do have gravel around. So it's up to you.

If chicks are eating anything other then a chick starter crumble they have to have grit...period. Same holds true for older birds.

To OP I just put the grit on a paper plate and let them pick a bit, usually about 10-15 minutes then take it up, especailly the first few times over time I leave it in there..by the time they are 3-4 weeks old.

Thank you katiebug that's kind of what I was thinking I just wanted to here it from someone who's knows more than I do.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Give them a little or you can give them a lot. In the end they will only consume what they need or require. I do like to give two day old chicks grit on a shingle or on a peace of cardboard. It gives them pecking practice, encourages them to explore their world and I get a kick watching two day old chicks trying to scratch. For adult fowl I like to feed it free choice in a Vienna Sausage can wired to the pen just above the roost. One can can last years and years unless it's spilled. Don't forget to punch a hole or two in the bottom so the can won't hold water.
PS: I feed oyster shell the same way.

Back
Top Bottom