1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how much grit?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Nov 14, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    i need to start mixing the grit in with the ducklings feed, atleast until they go outside anyway, so what is the correct ratio of food/grit when they are mixed?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I have no idea. That is why I offered my chicks grit free choice and did not mix it with the food.

3. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    just offer it in a separate dish.

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:There really is no way to say, it depends on the gizzard, if it retains grit well there will be little turn over, other birds seem to be into the grit every week. if you feed free choice you can at least get an idea how fast your flock goes through a supply.

5. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    i have changed my mind about the grit thing, i only wanted to mix it with their feed because they cannot knock their feeder over but they knock the grit bowl over within 2 mins of me putting it in everytime lol, anyway iv got a bigger bowl and put more grit in, they do still get in the bowl [​IMG], but they cant knock it over

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by