How much insulation do I need for my coop in Oregon?

Brelansmama

Songster
10 Years
11 Years
Jan 24, 2009
McMinnville, Oregon
I live in NW Oregon, how much insulation do I need in my coop?
Anyone who lives in the area, and survived this last winter???
How thoroughly is your coop insulated? Would you put more, less, or none in if you did it over?
I would love to hear from you!
Thanks!!

We are not to far from you here in Vancouver and I know we OVER DID the insulation, and weatherizing our coop...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7562-Coop_building

insulation, tar paper, and a heater! LOL We got our chicks in March last year, and I admit, I did turn the heater on for them a few times...But truthfully I think I really turned the heater on for ME! I didnt want them to get cold, but Iknow they would have been fine with out the heater....but if you have the means to put in insulation...DO IT..and just make sure there is ventalation ..,,Our chickens did fine all winter...not htat they like the snow or the mud!

~Tiff~

Quote:
WOW! I have seen whole houses that aren't constructed that well!!
NICE JOB!!!
Thanks for the link to your page,, I like the pop door, we have been trying to fugure out how to make that work on our coop....~~put the door INSIDE~~ GREAT idea!
Thanks again!
thumbsup.gif

You don't need to insulate, assuming you have appropriately chosen breeds.

Some people would anyhow, as the only disadvantage is the extra cost and labor of it. Depends how much you are going to stress out about temperature. And if you are contemplating possibly running a lamp for warmth, then insulating will lower your electric bill
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom