How much is a year old laying hen worth?

I checked Cackle Hatcheries website a couple days ago and they’re offering grown fowl on a sliding scale that starts as high as $110 for one bird and drops to $59/bird for eight or more. Shipping is an additional $80 to $232! Those prices were for Easter Eggers, but I think other breeds are similar. I wasn’t looking to buy. My son is participating in 4H and has to sell at least 4 of the pullets he raised next month. I was checking prices to see if we should sell more. I don’t expect 4H chicks to sell for THAT much, but if hatcheries sold out of chicks this year and are asking that much for grown birds....maybe the local markets will bring more too??? If you really don’t want to sell $150 might not be high enough to deter the buyer! You might need to go higher during the pandemic! ;)

I look on craigslist to see what they are going for and the breeds and if they are hand-raised or just overstock from a farmer or better stock (even if culls) from a breeder who cares about their birds.

It also depends on your area - are you in a farm area or urban or suburban area? I have in years past paid more (about $20 each) for birds hand-raised by home-schoolers and less for multiple birds (about $15) from a farmer that ordered too many. All these were Point of Lay hens and mostly just sex-links, nothing special. These are low prices compared to this year in my area. If you have better breeds you can charge accordingly.

Pandemic panic buying may give you higher prices in cities or lower prices in farm areas where every neighbor has poultry. I personally am not selling this year. I will however offer some to friends to build goodwill if I know they are chicken folks.

I do not know why people are hoarding toilet paper, ammo, and chickens. But I can sell any bird I have any day of the week right now. To bad I want the eggs, Seen point of lay hens going for fifty dollars nothing fancy.:confused:

I breed and sell a very wide variety of critters. The answer to the question what is _________ worth? Simply, whatever someone is willing to pay is the answer, livestock and animals have no set value only perceived worth. That being said, this is my rule EVERY animal I have is for sale HOWEVER the buyer has to want them more than me. What that means is I decide a price I'm happy with, if they can't pay it then I keep it. So long answer to a short question, I have critters priced at a million dollars and a really annoying goat I would take 10 cents for. Never forget your heart and peace of mind in business and you won't go wrong.
Philosophical answer in the trash...20-30 bucks is about fair

If you don’t want to sell them, say 150 dollars each. If you do want to sell them, say 150 dollars each. They will surely go to a good home if the buyer is willing to pay that much for a laying bird.

But seriously, they would realistically go for around 15-30$ each, not too much.

I know that "havesomechickens" meant this as a joke but there is a morsel of truth in this statement. Yes, it does depend on the area and the cost of chickens depends on availability. Lots of folks with the stay at home order have taken up chicken keeping in their backyards. They are anxious to get a few hens and you can easily charge $30. for good healthy birds. Pullets here are selling for $20-30. I agree with the above that you if you charge a good price, they will go to better homes. Ask the maximum you would like. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom