How Much is enough?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SilverPhoenixNS, Jan 8, 2012.

1. SilverPhoenixNS

SilverPhoenixNS Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Windsor, Nova Scotia
    I am wondering how much layer ration a chicken needs to eat in one day? I just need to know a number to see how many I can afford to get right now.

2. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    My 8 RIRs who are about 1 year old, go though about 50 pounds in a month. And that's with plenty of treats.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    8 large fowl 20 pounds in 7 days with lots of forage, 5.5 days without.
    Individual breeds vary.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    SilverPhoenixNS my policy from the beginning of having chickens is to always have water down and available during the waking hours and food available down and available. I go out each morning and could easily put only a days worth of feed and guess what I think they need. Some use that method for reason bc they have rodent or predator issues and food draws in the varmints they for obvious reasons do not want around. I do not feed treats per se like others do and I only throw down scratch each morning I let them out and on occasion will give table scrapes bc I worm farm and feed the worms the scraps and the rest of our table scrapes we compost so with that being said food is in a large 2 pound feeder in the open coop daily and what I throw down in the morning daily and maybe through the weeks a old piece of bread or melon rind. Good luck

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have read on internet that a lighter weight hen eats around 4 ounces a day.

Also, I agree with jomoncon- once we had only 6 chickens - wyandottes - and they ate 50 lb a month or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by