How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CritterHill, May 20, 2008.

1. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    I have eleven 3 week old chicks.

I have been feeding starter crumbles all along and just 3 days ago started with treats.

Is one scrambled egg split between the 11 of them every other day too much treats?

It is SOOOO much fun watching them go nuts over it.

2. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    I hope not because I fed some of my chicks crumbled up hard boiled eggs daily for weeks. After all, eggs are the same food they had for the three weeks of incubation. I also fed them cornbread crumbles and comercial grower and some greens like grass or collard greens.

3. Texas Fluffy Feet

Texas Fluffy Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Arlington, TX
    I definitely don't think it's to much. I only have 5 (now 10 weeks old) and I save yolks out when I crack eggs for cooking in stuff- cakes, casseroles, etc. and cook just the yolks for the girls. I usally give at least 3 yolks at a time sometimes 4. They clean that up pretty fast and still look for more.

Once my girls moved out to the coop at 5 weeks I have made sure they have access to some sort of "treat" daily. Usually this means fresh grass and weeds but several times a week there is something else too. Occasionally it's egg or yogurt, I guess what I'm trying to say is they have something other than chick starter every day.

4. Ese_N_Gracie

Ese_N_Gracie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    AS much as I've seen my babies choke down...they always walk away when they have had enough...gotten bored etc....their fav is shelled sunflower seeds....I thought they might OD on those....but thye even leave those after a while....I'm shocked at how much fits into those little crops! It seems to me that they know what is best for them.....variety

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by