How much is too much???

momofdrew

Songster
11 Years
Aug 8, 2008
Rochester,New Hampshire
yippiechickie.gif
How often should you give treats...My birds are free ranging and also are given growers pellets...They love bananas, tomatoes, yoghert, wheat bread :clapand a whole lot more but should they get different treats every day? I didn't see my birds go near their grower to day... I was busy digging a trench around their new pen to lay chicken wire and they were having a field day with all the good wiggily:sick things I uncovered...they get to a point that they are in my way they love it when I dig...Pam

How many do you have? And how many treats a day? I have only 6 girls and they get a little treat in the morning, a little treat after supper and free range for maybe 2 hours a day. They eat like little piggies including their grower food. Mine also love it when I dig. Their run is pretty much barren now so everyday before work I go dig up a couple of shovel fulls of dirt/weeds and they love it!

I have 6 silkies...they free range almost all day if I am at home...they love to sleep under my asparagas...they also have their wallow there...they some times get oatmeal mixed into the yoghert...berries...water melon, apples...I am just afraid they aren't getting the right balance for diet...they eat a lot of bettles and spiders...worms and larva...

It is really fun to garden with them hanging around...when I weed they dig through what I throw into a pile before putting in compost...

This is my first summer with chicks and am loving it...
big_smile.png
Pam

PS...I live in NH so we are neighbors:D

Last edited:
You really want them to eat more of their grower than treats. Just like human chicks, they don't always know what's good for them. A good rule of thumb is that treats should be no more than 10% of their total intake, at least until their little bodies are finished growing.

Back
Top Bottom