How much is too much?

summerb76

Songster
11 Years
Aug 8, 2008
Lake Como, Florida
I have 20 ten weeks old chickens. They go through 13lbs of starter feed in 2-3 days. PLus they get alot of table scraps and free range every night for 1-2 hours. My question is...Should I let them eat so much of the starter feed, should I only have it out for them for a few hours and take it out and feed them again the next day or do I keep it available at all times?

I believe in having their primary feed available to them 24/7. While they were growing I kept their treats down to roughly 10% of their total daily intake.
They are kinda like kids. They'll eat what they like faster than they will what's good for them.
They need their feed for proper growth and development.
Until just recently when they started free-ranging all day long vs. just part of the day mine went thru 50 lb. of feed a week for 18 chickens.

Thanks that answers my question. Also should I be giving grower now not the starter food. I know they dont get layer until they lay an egg, but I notice my farm supply store carries a "grower" feed. It says for 10-18 week olds. But it is not medicated like the starter feed is. Did they get enough of the medicated feed already by 10 weeks old?

OH I went through ALOT of starter feed too but once you put them on pellets it slows WAY down it seems...they waste less feeding pellets too over crumbles. With 18 hens + a bunch of bantams I go through about 50 lbs of feed every 3-4 weeks...depending on how much they free range.

Quote:
If your feed store offers a seperate grower that is non-medicated you could switch them to that now. A gradual switch over is best, if you have some of their current feed to mix in with the new stuff.
I agree with Hangin' on the layer pellets. So much less waste. I've read where people say theirs won't eat the pellets. I feed all my animals a high quality feed and they know they have two choices, eat it or go hungry. They eat the pellets just fine.

I agree with Hangin' on the layer pellets. So much less waste. I've read where people say theirs won't eat the pellets. I feed all my animals a high quality feed and they know they have two choices, eat it or go hungry. They eat the pellets just fine.

Mine too-they will always eat pellets when they get hungry enough. One time I was just about out of food and all the store had was pellet-style food, so that's what they got. I had enough of the crumbles to mix with them though, so they transitioned to the pellets just fine.​

I just bought a 50lb bag of starter feed but I will go back and buy 25lbs of grower pellets and mix it all together and see how they do on in. Thanks for all the helpful info.

Quote:
Writer, I checked with Purina on that. They said the layer feed, pellets or otherwise, is just fine for the roos.

Back
Top Bottom