How much light for prolapsed hen to stop laying?

CathyB59

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 21, 2011
SE Montana
I have an almost year old hen who prolapsed 4 days ago. I've been bathing her rear end at least once a day and applying either Preparation H or honey twice a day. Unfortunately she's still laying, so the prolapse isn't getting better. I've isolated her from the other hens so that I can limit the amount of light she has. How much light should I give her to get her to stop laying? 12 hours? Less than that?

Thanks in advance. Cathy

16 hours in a dark quiet area worked for me, even a pressure type bandage to hold prolapse in. http://www.littlehenrescue.co.uk/Pages/Medicaladvice.aspx

I heated up water added in honey to dissolve it, let it cool and used to clean prolapse. Used gauze or rag with honey on it to hold prolapse in. Gently used a syringe and injected (without needle) the honeyed water into vent. Held it in place for as long as possible. Hardest part I had was working the prolapse back inside. Being patient talking to her in calm voice helped.

My hen laid a monster egg so I keep an eye on her, as she can pop out occasionally. I did the bandage on her, besides experimenting to get it to stay in. The honey, preparation H, sugar sprinkled on it, and the bandage worked when it was at its worst. Very important to keep it moist.

Hope your girl recovers!

It worked!! I had to apply the pressure dressing for 2 nights and she is on about 9 - 10 hours of daylight, but she finally stopped laying and the prolapse is healed! I'm going to keep her from laying for about a week to make sure everything is healed. I've heard that it will probably recur. Does anyone have any experience with recurrence? Am I going to have to eventually cull her due to recurrence?

It may or may not recur, but you can also check into getting a Lupron hormone implant or shot every 4-6 months to prevent her from laying.

Back
Top Bottom