1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much light need

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rngrbill, Oct 6, 2011.

1. rngrbill

rngrbill Chillin' With My Peeps

How much "daylight" is needed for maximum egg production? wondering how to set my timers. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. wannalive

wannalive Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    tamms/elco Illinoiis
    14 hours is optimum... but why push them. imo, when they want/need to slow down. or even stop, let them. no need to stress their bodies like that.. i want them to live long/happy/healthy lives

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Some recommend on here (and I think it makes sense) to set the timers so that they aren't on in the evening, since they might be on the floor and won't be able to find the roost if the light goes out on them. They say to have them come on in the morning. Of course you will need food and water in the coop as well, so they can start the day.

4. rngrbill

rngrbill Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:To heck with slow down or stop I want them to start. Next year they can slow down. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Having a light come on at a consistent, early morning time, such as 4:30 or 5:00 am adds a few hours of light to their day. This allows for evening dusk to fall naturally and they go to their roosts in a normal manner. Right now, this will provide them with 14 hours of daylight. At the worst of daylight, December 21, this will only produce 11 or 12 hours of daylight. This isn't "pushing" them, imho. Giving them 16 hours or more of light is pushing them.

6. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Laying hens need 16 hours of light during the laying period. It doesn't have to be a bright light either, just a minimum of one-half foot candle at bird level. You can have the light go on at 5 am and off at 9 am, and then on at 4 pm and off at 9 pm.

The important thing is:
    1) Never increase the duration or intensity of light during the growing period, and
    2) Never decrease the duration or intensity of light during the production period.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by