How much longer to I have to wait for eggs in free range pullets?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dandy Acres, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Dandy Acres

Dandy Acres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    The title says most of the story. Crumbles are always available but they are in a tractor and get our garden scraps too. They are 21 weeks. Thanks.

2. Terri

Terri Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    my hens were almost 5 months before they started to lay.

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    It may take them another month or 2. Plus if they're free range they may find their own nests to lay in. I thought my egg production had dropped way down in the last couple weeks and this is what I found under my carport:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

I am only gettin' 3-4 eggs a day from 21 week old hens. I keep thinkin' somewhere there HAS to be a hugh hidden stash of eggs that I have not found...but alas....I cant find it......
    I have crawled and dug all over every inch of the run and...nope....no secret laying place.....just lazy hens.....[​IMG]

5. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:That's not too bad for hens that young. Some of my girls didn't start laying until 30+ weeks - and that's when they were locked up, so I know they weren't hiding them!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Twenty-one weeks is still young.
    I'll ask the same question I just asked on another thread.
    What breed of hens do you have?

I have LF brahma. I was both surprised and pleased when I had a hen start laying at 19 weeks. I waited until 38 weeks for a couple of her sisters.
    ETA: 20 weeks is only a very loose rule of thumb. Some start earlier, many start way later.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  7. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I'm going through the same thing with 11 BR pullets at 21.5 weeks old--I'm about ready to pee my pants I'm so anxious!!! [​IMG] for both of us!!!

8. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    mine are at 18 weeks ... i have been checking every day for 2 weeks

2 buff orpingtons and i think the 3rd is a RIR ... but it looks too small to be a RIR

i am patiently tapping my foot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by