How much loss could I expect?

SaltLakeSpice

Chicken Tender
9 Years
Feb 7, 2010
I have read a fair number of posts lately about how many chicks other people have been losing for all sorts of reasons. I am hoping in the next few weeks to get some chicks from a local feed store and was wondering what kind of death rate i could expect. I want to end up with 4 or 5 chickens, how many should i start out with? and of course I realize that good care and conditions will decrease my loss rate, it just seems like such a common thing that i should be prepared for some loss no matter what. Thanks.

Quote:
I've had a high mortality rate on smaller bantams...
hmm.png
They never do well for me, no matter how often I squish the feed down to smaller size and crumbs
hmm.png
but that's on me. It seems when I go to feed stores, those tend to be the ones that are small, weak and frail. Other chicks do well though
smile.png
KEEP them out of the cold!!%Pr

Quote:
hmm.png
They never do well for me, no matter how often I squish the feed down to smaller size and crumbs
hmm.png
but that's on me. It seems when I go to feed stores, those tend to be the ones that are small, weak and frail. Other chicks do well though
smile.png

Quote:
no one has mentioned loss rates per se, thats why i'm asking, just that some of their chicks had died. it mostly seems to be from folks who have ordered but i have seen a few posts from people who bought from feed stores as well.

Quote:
hmm.png
hmm.png
smile.png

I only had three bantams (2 frizzled bantam cochins and 1 black-crested polish) but all of those did fine.

Last year I bought about 25 chicks and hatched 5. I didn't lose any for natural causes.... one silkie was squished by a meatie, and I lost a whole pen of 16 week bantams and leghorns to my neighbor's dog. But they were all happy and healthy right up until thier "accidents".

I've never heard of problems from the feed store. I would think that most deaths are from weak chicks that just don't handle the stress of the mail very well. If you look the chicks over well at the feed store and pick out some strong ones and follow the raising "rules" you should be fine.

I ordered chicks from Meyer. Lost 2 out of 30. They just died suddenly at 2 and 3 weeks. Not a bad ratio.

I feel that the feed store environment must be inherently stressful for chicks. I would recommend that you find out when they are getting their shipment, so you can whisk your new chicks home & away from all the manhandling they will get at the store. Also, I tend not to trust that the "Pullet" tank will actually contain 100% pullets after the public has finished playing with all the tanks of chicks.

I think you should get 7 chicks. It is a lucky number.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom